1.24.2011

At least 3 more weeks of this...

I wish I could say that the results of sporting events had no impact on me. In a vacuum, this would be the case. Unfortunately, I reside in one of the most pigskin-obsessed areas in the western hemisphere. As such, the results of the NFC championship game yesterday has been a little... taxing on me to say the least.

Example the first: one of our supervisors planned today as a vacation day. Why? For additional celebrations if the Packers won, and to drown his sorrows if they lost.

Example the second: One of my workplace peers (OK, my Archenemy) called in sick this morning to buy Packers NFC championship garb. How do I know this?

Because he showed up to work anyway, clad in his new hat and hoodie. With the official holograms still affixed to the clothes. I guess the lines weren't too long. Priorities, I tell you what. The best part is that he's still as scowly as ever today.

And another thing... "we" did not win the championship. To build off of what Whiskey Rover (unupdated blog here) said, YOU were not on the field. YOU are not a coach. YOU are not even part of the organization. The most that YOU have done is funnel money into the coffers of the NFL. And if that means that "we" won the championship, well then, "I" have a sweet new 3D handheld system coming out in 2 months. "I" produced a new Deadpool miniseries. "I" made a delicious pint of ice cream.

At this point, I'm going to be stuck in at least a 3 week news cycle, win or lose. 3 weeks where the headlines and top stories every night are going to be about a game. Listen. I know games. I spend most of my waking hours playing them. None of them are worth this much press. Even "the biggest game of the year".

States without professional baseball, basketball, and (especially) football ties? Make your case. I'm amenable to moving.

1 comment:

  1. This post needed serious follow-up, especially with our - ahem - the Packers' Super Bowl victory.

    As for states to move - try with a capital S, as in State, and come to Rwanda. There is a slight obsession with English Premier League Football (yes, football to the entire world but the U.S., where it is soccer). No game stores though.

    ReplyDelete